In life, you will be faced with countless opportunities to sacrifice one thing in order to achieve another. In this article, we’ll take a look at some of the best quotes about sacrifice for success.
Successful people often talk about the sacrifices they made to get where they are. In this article, I’ve collected some quotes from successful people about this topic to get you motivated and moving in the right direction. The best things in life come at a cost and we all know that. What we don’t know is if we’re willing to pay the cost.
We all like to see ourselves as self-starters, as people who rose to the top through our own hard work and ingenuity. But actually, it takes a lot of sacrifice to make it in this world, especially if you want to be successful.
Are you ready to make sacrificial decisions for your success? Below are some inspiring quotes that can help you realize that your success will require your commitment, loyalty and devotion.
70 Best Sacrifice For Success Quotes
We all know that to succeed you need to be willing to make sacrifices. They are necessary. But to help you stay committed, here are some great quotes about sacrifice for success.
1) “Success is the primary goal of living.” – Harvey Swados
Harvey Swados was a writer in the 1930’s and 40’s perhaps best known for his short stories.
2) “Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful.” – Albert Schweitzer
Albert Schweitzer was a German theologian, organist, philosopher, physician, and medical missionary.
3) “Success is an attitude.” – Walter Elliott
Walter Elliott (1842–1928) was an American Roman Catholic priest and missionary, who authored the controversial 1891 book Life of Father Hecker.
4) “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
Eleanor Roosevelt was a prominent and important First Lady and activist. She was a strong advocate for women and minorities, and an important part of her legacy was making herself accessible to the media and the public.
5) “Life is about balance. Work hard, play hard.” – Mike Myatt
Mike Myatt is a leadership advisor to Fortune 500 companies. He is regarded as America’s Top CEO Coach, Myatt is a bestselling author of “Hacking Leadership” and “Leadership Matters” and is the Founder of N2Growth.
See also the best funny leadership quotes
6) “What’s a man’s worth if he stands idly by and watches a small injustice be done to a black man?” – Harold Lloyd
Harold Clayton Lloyd Sr. was an American actor, comedian, and stunt performer who appeared in many silent comedy films.
7) “I will not go down in history as a man who fought a war over a woman.” – Harold Wilson
James Harold Wilson was a British politician who was Prime Minister of the United Kingdom twice, from October 1964 to June 1970.
8) “I want to leave behind something that helps people who are hungry, something that helps people who are suffering, something that helps people who are searching for something to live for. I want to know that I made a difference to people, not just by what I do, but by what I leave behind.” – Bono
Bono is an Irish singer songwriter and lead singer of the band U2.
9) “Success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm.” – Winston Churchill
Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill was a British statesman who served as Prime Minister of the United Kingdom from 1940 to 1945, during the Second World War, and again from 1951 to 1955.
10) “I’m not interested in rushing any steps to the top. I want to take my time. I want to win gradually. That way, I’ll know that my success is not just a matter of luck – it’s the result of my own hard work.” – Len Green
Len Green, Founder and Chairman of The Green Group, has had a long and distinguished career as an entrepreneur.
11) “Throw yourself into your work and the moment you hit the ground you’ll create a foundation for your future. Build a life you love at work and it will follow you off the clock.” – Robert Sadd
12) “Success is stumbling from failure to failure, to be defeated at last by success.” – Oscar Wilde
Oscar Wilde was an Irish poet and playwright. After writing in different forms throughout the 1880s.
13) “Successful people do what unsuccessful people are not willing to do.”- Thomas J. Stanley
Thomas J. Stanley is a famous author and researcher on the subject of wealth. The author has also contributed to the New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, The Los Angeles Times, Forbes and more.
14) “Successful people always hear: You can’t do this. They respond: Just watch me.” – Anonymous
15) “Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out.” – Anonymous
16) “No pain, no gain.” – Benjamin Franklin
Benjamin Franklin was an American polymath who was active as a writer, scientist, inventor, statesman, diplomat, printer, publisher and political philosopher.
17) “I can’t give up when I’m close to the top.” – David Copperfield
18) “Make the sacrifice and do the work.” – Oprah Winfrey
Oprah Winfrey is an American talk show host, television producer, actress, author, and philanthropist.
19) “If you want to be successful, you have to sacrifice.” – Pete Carroll
Peter Clay Carroll is an American football coach who is the head coach and executive vice president for the Seattle Seahawks of the National Football League.
20) “Sacrifice is the watchword of the world.” – James Russell Lowell
James Russell Lowell was an American Romantic poet, critic, editor, and diplomat.
21) “What you’ll sacrifice for success are not just things you have, but people you are.” – Anonymous
22) “The things you’re willing to sacrifice are the things that determine what kind of person you are.” – Anonymous
23) “You can observe a lot just by watching.” – Yogi Berra
Lawrence Peter “Yogi” Berra was an American professional baseball catcher who later took on the roles of manager and coach.
24) “If you want to reach the highest level, you must be willing to pay the price.” – Anthony Robbins
Anthony Jay Robbins is an American author, coach, speaker, and philanthropist. Tony Robbins is known for his infomercials, seminars, and self-help books including the books Unlimited Power and Awaken the Giant Within.
25) “If you’re not willing to put in the hard time now, you’re never going to put in the hard time.” – Billie Jean King
Billie Jean King is an American former world No. 1 tennis player. King won 39 Grand Slam titles: 12 in singles, 16 in women’s doubles, and 11 in mixed doubles.
26) “I’m not satisfied with what I’ve done. I know that I can do more.” – Serena Williams
Serena Williams is an American professional tennis player. She has won 23 Grand Slam singles titles, the most by any player in the Open Era, and the second-most of all time behind Margaret Court.
27) “You must be the change you wish to see in the world.” – Mahatma Gandhi
Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi was an Indian lawyer, anti-colonial nationalist and political ethicist who employed nonviolent resistance to lead the successful campaign for India’s independence from British rule and in turn to inspire movements for civil rights and freedom across the world.
28) “Sacrifice yourself for a higher purpose.” – Aeschylus
Aeschylus was a Greek playwright who authored some of the earliest surviving plays that are still on the stage today. He was the first great tragedian. He introduced the idea that plays could deal with heroic themes, bringing in more nobility to plays. Along with his contribution to the theater, he also had some important contributions to the art of rhetoric.
29) “There is no success without sacrifice.” – Benjamin Disraeli
Famous English statesman, orator, and novelist Benjamin Disraeli was a Conservative Party leader. In his time as PM from 1868 to 1874 and 1880 to 1881, he played a role in the creation of the modern Conservative Party. He also defined its policies and broadened its outreach.
30) “In life, effort is inevitable, but only choosing the right thing is necessary.” – Hubert H. Humphrey
Hubert H. Humphrey was the thirty-fourth Vice President of the United States. He worked to get the civil rights law passed and was working on poverty and job development.
31) “You know for a fact that you have to sacrifice a lot of the things that you love in order to be successful.” -T.I.
T.I is a well known rapper and actor. Born Clifford Joseph Harris Jr also known as Tip Harris had hits with “Whatever you Like” and “Live Your Life”.
32) “Fall seven times, stand up eight.” – Japanese proverb
33) “Do you want to be rich? Well, figure out what someone else hates doing and do it.” – Derek Sivers
Derek Sivers is best known as an author but has also been a musician, producer, circus performer, entrepreneur, TED speaker, and book publisher.
34) “This man stood up in public, but no one stood up for him. I have to stand up for him even if it costs me my life.” – Archbishop Oscar Romero
Archbishop Oscar Romero (1917-1980) Oscar Arnulfo Romero y Goldámez was born on August 15, 1917 in Ciudad Barrios, a Salvadoran mountain town near the Honduran border. He is now a saint.
35) “Great minds have purposes, others have wishes.” – Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
What is Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr known for? In 1882 Holmes, a progressive Republican, accepted a position on the Massachusetts Supreme Court where he served for 20 years.
36) “No man who has never known poverty knows what it is like to be free.” – Ronald Reagan
Ronald Wilson Reagan was an American politician who served as the 40th president of the United States from 1981 to 1989.
37) “All of you are professional sacrifices.” – Jim Morrison
James Morrison was an American singer, songwriter, musician and poet.
38) “Successful people sacrifice. They know there is a prize at the end. It may not be a party or a fancy car, but they know it is worth it.” – Keith Robinson
39) “Who was the first man to take a drink?” – “It was a brave man who first took a drink.” – Jimi Hendrix
James Marshall “Jimi” Hendrix was an American musician, singer, and songwriter.
40) “In life, there are no shortcuts. ” – Denny Brahn
41) “In life, if you can’t provide patience, develop willpower. In life, if you can’t provide courage, develop discernment. In life, if you can’t provide integrity, develop compassion. In life, if you can’t provide honesty, develop creativity.” – John Paul Warren
John Paul Warren is a famous author.
42) “Whether you want to achieve your dreams of build a family of your own, you’ll never achieve anything if you do not sacrifice time.” – Danielle Steel
Danielle Schuelein-Steel is an American writer, best known for her romance novels. She is the bestselling author alive and the fourth bestselling fiction author of all time.
43) “Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen.” – Michael Jordan
Michael Jordan is one of the most famous names in Basketball of all time. Jordan also played a role in the movie Space Jam.
44) “Success is a loaded gun. It is easy to succeed, but difficult to have a life.” – Henry Youngman
Henry “Henny” Youngman was an English-American comedian and musician famous for his mastery of the “one-liner”.
See also the top sunflower quotes
45) “No great work is done without a great will.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
Ralph Waldo Emerson was an American essayist, lecturer, philosopher, abolitionist and poet who led the transcendentalist movement of the mid-19th century.
46) “There’s power in being asked to do something hard.” – Chris Guillebeau
Chris Guillebeau is an American author, entrepreneur, blogger, and speaker.
47) “If you want to sacrifice the admiration of many people of a small number who know you very well, go ahead, get a divorce.” – Anonymous
48) “The wise man should consider that health is the greatest of human blessings, and learn how by his own thought and dress and way of life to preserve it.” – Socrates
Socrates was a Greek philosopher from Athens who is credited as a founder of Western philosophy and the first moral philosopher of the ethical tradition of thought.
49) “My principle is that you should not go along with the majority just because you happen to be outnumbered. If the time comes when you have to choose between being popular and being right, choose being right.” – Albus Dumbledore
50) “Sacrifice is a part of success.” – Anonymous
51) “Success is a combination of skill and luck, but hard work plays a key role in both.” – Roger Federer
Roger Federer is a former world number 1 tennis player. He is also considered by many as the best tennis player of all time.
52) “Success is a nice thing, but it is not the main thing. The main thing is being a true person, being true to yourself.” – Zig Ziglar
Hilary Hinton “Zig” Ziglar was an American author, salesman, and motivational speaker.
53) “Successful people understand that as long as they’re doing what they’re passionate about and doing the best they can, they have nothing to regret.”
– Alexis Ohanian
Alexis Kerry Ohanian is an American internet entrepreneur and investor. He is best known as the co-founder and executive chairman of the social media site Reddit.
54) “In order to achieve anything in life, you have to sacrifice something.” – Alessia Cara
Alessia Cara is a singer song writer.
55) “It’s never too late to grow up.” – Dr. Seuss
Theodor Seuss Geisel was an American children’s author, political cartoonist, illustrator, poet, animator, and filmmaker. He is known for his work writing and illustrating more than 60 books under the pen name Dr. Seuss
56) “I don’t believe in sacrificing who I am for public opinion or fame.” – Taylor Swift
Taylor Swift is a well known singer and songwriter. She is also considered as one of the richest women on the planet.
57) “The only true sacrifice is to be true to oneself.” – Harriet Tubman
Harriet Tubman was an American abolitionist and political activist.
58) “It’s not about who’s better than who. It’s about who is the most determined.”- Taylor Swift
59) “Most guys think of themselves as a self-made man, but I made myself a self.” – Anonymous
60) “I was born as a small business. There is a point in time where I had to make a decision to sacrifice my company or myself.” – Erfa Levi
61) “In the course of human progress, those who wish to sacrifice others often find themselves sacrificed.” – Barack Obama
Barack Hussein Obama II is an American politician, author, and retired attorney who served as the 44th president of the United States from 2009 to 2017.
62) “I am so tired of sacrificing my time for you.” – Kelly Clarkson
Kelly Clarkson is a singer song writer. She won American Idol in 2002.
63) “Make sacrifices, without regrets.” – Anonymous
64) “Doing more with less is the name of the game.” – Anonymous
65) “The essence of strategy is sacrifice.” – Anonymous
66) “Life is short. BREATHE. THINK. ACT.” – S. Patel
67) “It’s the choices you make in life that determines your destiny. The good and the bad. You can respond in either way to anything.” – Hilary M. Hines
68) “Everything you want is on the other side of fear.” – George Addan
69) “A man is not what he does or what he has. A man is what he loves.” – W. Somerset Maugham
William Somerset Maugham CH was an English playwright, novelist, and short-story writer. He was among the most popular writers of his era.
70)”I soon discovered that whether I liked something or not was not important. The important thing was to like myself. – Vanna Bonta
Vanna Bonta was an Italian-American writer, actress, and inventor. She wrote Flight: A Quantum Fiction Novel.
All of us are trying to be successful in life. To reach that goal, we need to make sacrifices. But the sacrifices we make should be of the traits, habits, and behaviors that aren’t helping us.